The term Endometriosis is derived from the word endometrium, a tissue that lies typically inside the lining of the uterus. This is quite a painful disorder that occurs when endometrial-like tissue grows outside the uterus. Endometriosis may occur in fallopian tubes, ovaries, and pelvic tissues. However, this kind of disorder may also spread beyond the pelvic organs in rare cases.
An endometrial tissue lining inside the uterus grows in a cyclic process. It repeatedly thickens, breaks down, and bleeds out as a menstrual cycle. In the case of endometriosis, endometrial-like tissue follows the same process. However, in this case, the bleeding is trapped as it has no way to leave the body.
Endometriosis is likely to cause irritation, adhesions, and scar tissues in the surrounding tissues. It is a severely painful disorder that can be intolerable during the menstrual cycle. Over time, if left untreated, it can cause fertility problems as well. But certain treatments can help resolve this, and you can find the best endometriosis treatment in Delhi.
Symptoms of Endometriosis
The most common symptom of endometriosis is severe pelvic pain. This pain is unusually significant as compared to that during menstrual periods. Some of the other common signs and symptoms include:
- Intercourse Pain: Endometriosis usually causes immense pain during or after intercourse, every time.
- Immense Bleeding: In this case, some may encounter unusually heavy bleeding during their menstrual cycle. Sometimes bleeding might also occur in between two periods.
- Painful Periods: This condition is also called dysmenorrhea. In such a case, pelvic pain initiates a few days before the cycle and may extend well into the menstrual days. Such pain may also be experienced in the abdomen and lower back.
- Bowel Movement or Urination pain: Such pain might be common in the case of endometriosis, mostly at the time of the menstrual cycle.
- Infertility: For couples looking forward to getting tested for infertility, might find endometriosis as one of the reasons for diagnosis.
- 6. Miscellaneous signs to look for: Diarrhea, Constipation, Nausea, Bloating, or fatigue mostly during the menstrual cycle.
It has been seen that sometimes pain is not the best criteria to consider endometriosis and its severity. It has been found that someone with a very mild case of endometriosis can suffer from excessive pain. At the same time, someone with a severe case of endometriosis can suffer from little to no discomfort. Therefore, it is advisable to look for the other symptoms in addition to the pain.
In case you have been diagnosed with one or more of these symptoms leading to endometriosis, you can get the right endometriosis treatment in Delhi.
When to see a doctor?
The first step is self-observation. If you have any of the above signs or symptoms, you require a proper diagnosis and need to consult the doctor.
The doctors would be analyzing your symptoms, carrying out tests, and understanding your history of health. This will help them rule out other possible pelvic disorders like pelvic inflammatory disease or ovarian cysts, and irritable bowel syndrome, as all of these, have some similar signs.
Early consultation with the doctor can help diagnose the right cause and help you get the best endometriosis treatment in Delhi at an early stage.
Causes of Endometriosis
There are several possible explanations of endometriosis while the exact cause remains unclear. Those explanations include:
- Immune System Disorder – It is the immune system in the body that helps fight any unfavorable condition developing in any part. But in the case of immune system disorder, the endometrial-like tissues are safe from destruction as they become unrecognizable due to the weakness.
- Endometrial Cell Transport – The endometrial cells may be transported to other parts of the body (mainly outside the uterus) by the blood vessels or the lymphatic (tissue fluid) system.
- Surgical Scar Implantation – This is a scenario where the endometrial cells are in movement and attach themselves to any surgical incision after a C-section or hysterectomy surgeries.
- Embryonic Cell Transformation- This happens during puberty where the hormones like estrogen may transform the embryonic cell (during a very early stage of its development in the body), into the endometrial cell-like implants.
- Transformation of Peritoneal Cells- This is a concept derived from the ‘induction theory’. In this, the immune system and hormone factors are responsible for the transformation of cells lining inside the uterus (peritoneal) into endometrial-like sections.
- Retrograde Menstruation- During one of the menstrual cycles, the blood containing endometrial cells flows back into the fallopian tube and towards pelvic organs instead of out of the body. This causes the blood to stick to different pelvic regions and organs, thicken with time, and bleed into the menstrual cycle.
All these causes can be checked and ruled out at an early stage if you can get the proper consultation. This will eventually help you get the right endometriosis treatment in Delhi.
Risk Factors in Endometriosis
To understand how a person develops the risk of developing endometriosis, several factors need to be considered here.
- Beginning the menstrual cycles at an early age
- Very short menstrual cycles (less than 27 days)
- Very heavy menstrual cycles (longer than 7 seven days)
- Very low body and mass index
- Never conceiving or giving birth
- Exposure to very high levels of estrogen in the body with greater production level
- Family history of endometriosis
- Abnormality in reproductive tracts or organs
- Any miscellaneous conditions that obstruct or limit the flow of menstrual blood from the body
Endometriosis does not develop before or with the start of menstrual periods. This starts its development a few cycles or years later through the onset of any abnormal behavior in the body. Once the pregnancy begins, possible signs and symptoms of endometriosis start to reduce and over time completely fades with menopause.
Possible Complications in Endometriosis
Two significant complications are needed to be considered in the case of extensive growth of endometriosis disorder.
Those who are diagnosed with endometriosis have a greater risk of developing it into ovarian cancer. In the natural sense, ovarian cancer is not as common and has a very low chance of occurring in the usual cases. Though endometriosis might act as a catalyst, there are still greater chances that it can be treated before the cancerous stage is reached.
Those who have been diagnosed with endometriosis at least once might develop a risk of developing endometriosis-associated adenocarcinoma, (a rare type of cancer in endometriosis) in the future.
One of the main complications that are quite common to occur in those diagnosed with endometriosis is impaired fertility. It is known that due to endometriosis, many women fail to get pregnant even after a lot of attempts. This is usually how they are tested and might find endometriosis to be the reason.
When trying to get pregnant, the ovary must release an egg, which should travel through the fallopian tube, fertilize with the sperm, and implant itself in the uterine wall. In the case of endometriosis, the fallopian tube is obstructed that does not let the egg and the sperm unite for fertilization. In other cases, this disorder might also adversely affect the egg or sperm.
For those with very mild cases of endometriosis, the chances of getting pregnant are low but still positive. In that case, the doctor advises the women to go for early pregnancy as endometriosis only worsens with time and can be combatted if fertilization occurs early.
There are many treatments available that include over-the-counter pain medications for excessive menstrual cramping, and hormone therapy that includes Contraceptives, Progestin Therapy, Aromatase Inhibitors, and Gonadotropin-releasing hormones. One can also be suggested a conservative surgery, fertility treatment, and Hysterectomy (uterus removal) for severe cases.
In all these treatments, the diagnosis is primary as it can be crucial in deciding on getting the best endometriosis treatment in Delhi centers. Therefore, when encountering even the mild symptoms and signs, it is necessary to consult with a gynecologist. This can help with early diagnosis and treatment, leading to an endometriosis-free future. This can also help you plan your pregnancy once treated.