Do’s and Don’ts for the Second Trimester
Overview of the Second Trimester
Pregnancy is a period of complete joy that brings about the development of a new life. The entire period of nine months is divided into 3 trimesters, each of 3 months. One of the most important trimesters is the second trimester. This includes months 4, 5, and 6 lasting from 13 to 28 weeks. This is a very special phase where the mothers can visualize the growth of the baby by experiencing the formation of a bump. This is also a duration that brings about the start of the baby’s movement in the womb.
The second trimester pregnancy is considered to be the easiest period where the mothers can get relief from the morning sickness and fatigue of the first trimester. This is also one of the many symptoms of second-trimester pregnancy. This is a great time to begin any preliminary planning for your baby’s homecoming. Many of the other symptoms of second trimester include:
- Cramps in the lower abdomen
- Regular backache
- Breast enlargement
- Bleeding gums
- Vaginal Discharge
- Frequent Urination
- Hair Growth
- Leg Cramps
- Skin Changes
- Varicose Veins
- Weight Gain
If mothers encounter any of the above symptoms of second trimester to be extremely severe or painful, then they should immediately contact a renowned gynecologist in GK 2.
Do’s for the Second Trimester
To ensure that the entire period of second-trimester pregnancy goes smoothly, a few do’s need to be addressed.
- It is important to get a regular and timely check-up with the consulting gynecologist.
- It is necessary to add a lot of protein to the diet including milk and milk products. To avoid any unnecessary weight gain, a balanced diet is a must.
- Staying hydrated with a lot of fluid intakes is beneficial in this period.
- Regular exercises and yoga that are safe for pregnancy can help mothers gain strength and smoothen the rest of the second trimester of pregnancy.
- Using moisturizers, oils, and creams are beneficial for preventing stretch marks around the abdomen. This is also great for reducing the itching effects of stretching.
- A dental check-up is important to ensure that there are no dental infections that can potentially harm the fetus.
- Prepare a bag for the hospital.
- Prepare your home to make it baby-friendly.
- Keep a close track of anyone who could help out in case of any emergency.
- Get vaccines related to TT and Flu as per the latest WHO guidelines to prevent any infections.
The above points are a must and as per any gynecologist’s advice, they should not be missed out on. Every ‘to-dos’ pointer can help smoothen the process of pregnancy and the post-pregnancy period.
Don’ts for the Second Trimester
There are somethings that going-to-be-mothers are not sure of. Somethings tend to be dangerous and may cause some harm to the baby if not avoided during the second trimester pregnancy.
- It is very important to avoid any kind of alcohol intake along with smoking and excessive caffeine.
- At times, some dental visits can lead to procedures involving machines. The rays from the machines and some dental medicines might not be suitable for the fetus and should therefore be avoided.
- It is better to avoid undercooked meat to prevent certain diseases like Listeriosis.
- It is very important to avoid hot sauna baths due to excessive heat being dangerous for the fetus.
- If you have pets, avoid cleaning the litter boxes yourself to prevent infections.
- Any kind of sexual contact can prove to be harmful in the late second trimester pregnancy and beyond.
- It is better to avoid wearing tight clothes to prevent the feeling of constriction and high heels to prevent excessive feet ache and swelling.
Some mothers are also concerned if traveling would be safe and not a part of ‘don’ts’. Traveling is safe but only during the second trimester of pregnancy and when you are feeling healthy with no bleeding, pain, or complications. It is better to consult a doctor before booking a trip.
Second Trimester Pregnancy is a phase in the pregnancy cycle where you have the freedom to move about a bit more freely. But it is also important to follow through with the advice of the various ‘dos’ to ensure that you can stay up to your greatest health. You can also get any more information about these by consulting the best gynecologist in GK 2.
If you are feeling that some of the symptoms of second trimester do not match or you find that there might be complications that require urgent attention, then it is better to consult a high-risk pregnancy doctor in south Delhi. These Pregnancy doctors in South Delhi would be able to assess your problems deeply and calm your worries with the right treatment in case of no big concerns.